Poppy Patchwork


My little bit of this big World

Tuesday 21 November 2017

Getting ready

£123.00
 Finding gifts
Christmas cake
With Christmas coming up so fast, we are trying to stay ahead, this morning I emptied our lovely coin jar, after much counting we had £141.68 inside, so a good years saving. We can only bank full bags, so £123.00 is ready to go to the bank, £6.68 was put back in the jar, the difference £13 were all pound coins so they were passed to hubby, he uses coins most days. The savings will be used for the purchase of our meats and other food items for Christmas. I have already a collections of nibbles, biscuits and sweets stashed for the holiday period. We have £46+ on our Co-op loyalty card, which will be used for fresh veg, cream and last minute purchases. Plus we have points for Tesco and Sainsbugs, but neither are a huge amount. 
We have a second piggy bank, in which we save £2 coins, on checking there is £72.00, which has been returned and left to grow, I think it will take over 100 coins to fill it.
I am also looking out 12 items, all new and unused, to be passed to our local charity shop, I call it my 12 days of Christmas, I have done this for the past 4 years, it's a useful way of passing on good unused items. We are also getting 2 gifts for elderly people in our local hospital, we did this last year, it's nice to ensure no-one is forgotten at Christmas.
I have put the marzipan on our Christmas cake, and had some left over, so I intend to cover these balls with a rich dark chocolate and some sprinkles, a simple home made treat.

6 comments:

  1. I always saved in a tin before I retired. Now I walk to the Coop every month and put my the money from my smallest pension in my share account. I start the pot off every January and February with the two council tax payments I don't need to pay. It gives me around £850 which cover birthday and Christmas presents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does help when you save throughout the year. How lovely that you buy gifts for patients in hospital and having my dad in hospital over the Christmas period last year, I can tell you that any gits that they're given are very much appreciated. He was given a little tin with some toiletries in and he was thrilled to bits to be given this gift. My mum's back in hospital again at the moment so I'm just hoping that we don't have another Christmas this year like we did last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's surprising how much can be saved by putting away little bits at a time. We have a large whisky bottle that is home to pound coins.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great way to save a bit for the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did well with your savings

    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to be organised. What a nice gesture to send so many new things to the charity shop.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails